Monday, September 3, 2012

The Lunch Delimma

Packing a lunch for school is a really painful task in our house.  One doesn't mind sandwiches but hates soup while the other likes soup and only likes Peanut Butter and Jam sandwiches. 

The other day we sat down to discuss the lunch subject.  I asked each child what they wish I would pack for them.  I gave them a couple of stipulations:  it can't be the same everyday and it has to be somewhat healthy.  I got a list out and took notes.   We covered sandwich types, soups, etc then went on to snacks.  I was encouraged that my soup hater is now back in soup liking mode.  (so they say!)

The kids I babysit said they get a Lunchable every Tuesday - great idea.  Friday at our school is Pizza Day.  So, really, I just need lunches Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. 

I got some great tips from thelunchtaker.com. 
you can freeze sandwiches for up to two months
  • If you like mayo on your sandwich, we found that Miracle Whip freezes better. It doesn’t get grainy when it thaws like mayonnaise can.
  • Never freeze lettuce, pickles, tomatoes or other veggie toppings. Pack them separately just like you would for a freshly-made sandwich.
  • Freezing works best for basic lunch meat and cheese sandwiches, or things like tuna salad or ham salad.
  • Yes you can freeze peanut butter and jelly!
  •  The tip: spread BOTH sides of the bread with peanut butter, and put the jelly in the middle.
I also checked on Pinterst for some ideas and came across all kinds of lunch ideas just by typing in "Lunchbox"

This also led to a small bit of guilt when I realized how lame in the lunchbox department I have been!  Once I started reading what other "Super-mom's" do for their kids lunch pails I was SHOCKED!  It's like there is a lunch pail war going on out there.  I do not wish to compete, however, there were some cute ideas out there I just may try. 

Here are some of my favorite lunch ideas I will try: (we'll see how the kids like them, ha!)
  • Fruit, meat and cheese Kabobs
  • Apple sandwiches.  (core an apple, and slice into rounds.  dip in a little lemon juice.  smear nutella or PB and oats over it and top with another apple slice!)
  • Pinwheel sandwiches.
  • Veggies and Humus
  • Yogurt & Berries, Big Pretzel Sticks
It never hurts to do a little research on even the simplest of subjects.  We all can use a change now and then.  I'm ready to kick off the new School year with a new arsenal of lunch ideas! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment