Friday, May 4, 2012

Renovations Abound

You know when we purchased this old house, we had some great ideas and dreams we wanted to accomplish within it.  We've been here for 8 years now and we have done a ton of work to it. It's funny, it doesn't look that different, but it's a lot warmer!!!  Let me show you a recent project we tackled.  We're still in process, but soooo close.  Check it out.
 
This is my oldest daughters bedroom.  


 This was the "spare" bedroom/storage room. (complete with tiny bathroom where that door is)

Our house was 3 apartments at one time and when we bought it it was still a 2 unit home so there was an upstairs room only accessible through it's own staircase at the back end of the house. 

We started out this renovation by just putting a doorway in between the two rooms (this was my bad idea.  I was pregnant and hormonal, and my husband is Superman and will tackle about anything that I ask him to!) We had a baby on the way and he wasn't messing with my insisting idea that we should have a nursery for her.  (LONG story there....we have 4 kids....they will all share rooms now, lol)


Once we got into the renovation, we shook our heads at how ridiculous this would look, let alone all the time we would have to put into a "patch-job" renovation when it really need to be gutted, floors leveled, roof fixed around chimney, insulated properly and new wiring....oh...the wiring. 

You know, even though my husband is a carpenter by trade, the process of renovating is still very painful.  Did I mention our house was built in 1910?  Lathes and plaster all throughout.


Y.U.C.K.

 Doing carpentry by day for a job and carpentry on home by night does not lead to a project getting done very fast either. My sweetie has been plugging away on this project for 1 year and 9 months so far. (needless to say, our baby is not needing that new nursery now...lol...she's almost ready for a toddler bed! HA!) We're seeing the light though!! (feeling giddy inside just thinking about it!)

(And my carpenter superhero says inside work is done in the winter and outside work is done in the summer, so that is another reason why (along with $$) it has taken so long.)

Ok, so the TV is a little cumbersome. 
We have cable and electric outlets on the wall for a flat screen some day.





Our headboard is an old door. I just love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment