Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Clutter, Clutter go away.....

I hate clutter.  Can I just be that honest to say I reallllly hate it.  I like organization.  Guess which one I'm good at?  Nope.  It isn't organization.  You'll know that by the myriad of posts saying "I was late for...." or "we flew out the door...." My name is Becky and I am a procrastinator with a side of just- stack-it-there. 

So with that said, today I'm focusing on decluttering.  Again. (Seriously I should be posting this every other day, because that's about how often I have to attack it!)

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with where to start when it comes to decluttering my home.  You know, you look around see a stack of paper, stack of dirty dishes and stack of dirty kids...all in one room. Where do you even start?  There's so many offending areas!

I had to go back to my old standby.  Flylady
I go on binges of Flylady every so often and it feels so good to be in a routine and the house looking and smelling great.  But, I don't seem to have a lot of "stick-to-it-ness" because after about a month of hacking away at the same old thing....I get bored and I want to do something different like craft or read or blog.  And then I start all over again at the same place.  Catastrophe mountain.

Anyhoo, can't focus on the negative for too long.  I had to start somewhere.

27 Fling Boogie
Ok, so the name is a little off the wall, however, the idea is a great one to get a hold of. 

Here's what she says to do:

"This is a tool to help you declutter your home. Do this assignment as fast as you can. Take a garbage bag and walk through your home and throw away 27 items. Do not stop until you have collected all 27 items. Then close the garbage bag and pitch it. DO NOT LOOK IN IT!!! Just do it. Next, take an empty box and go through your home collecting 27 items to give away. As soon as you finish filling the box, take it to the car. You are less tempted to rescue the items. If you have two of any item and you only need one, get rid of the least desirable."

Man, the house got put back in order fast!  (I did add a third step - go room by room and anything that does not belong in that room, go put it where it does.) And I set a timer.  I could pick up this house all.day.long.   if I was willing. I'm not.  I went through the whole house for the flylady steps but I only worked on the downstairs for my added step.  (again, time restraint). What I did in that 30 mins though was great!  I threw in some laundry before I started and away I went.  I ended with a wash-some-windows celebration. **sarcasm** I really dislike washing windows.  (I have to do it when the toddler isn't watching me....or she will "help" me after I'm done.)

Let me encourage you to get rid of your unwanted's, undesirables and your unneeded's today.  You can bless someone else with stuff you don't need and feel great about an uncluttered home! 

Remember, stuff does not create lasting happiness.  That's God's job.  :)  Too much stuff leads to unhappiness, big bills and a big ol' mess.  Get rid of it!


2 comments:

  1. I love it!! Trying it out today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun!! I am at my desk thinking of 27 items on it that can go in the garbage!!

    ReplyDelete