Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hey all you coffee drinkers, your lawn needs you

I knew that title would get your attention.  I too would have clicked on the link without hesitation thinking "maybe she's going to tell me there are wonderful benefits to drinking coffee, so I should drink more."  Sorry to say, that's not the purpose of this post.  In fact, I have been researching lawn care and specifically organic lawn care. 

I'm guessing those of you who don't give a rip about organic living or lawn care are rolling your eyes.   Stay with me for a moment.  I need your coffee.  lol. 

We leveled our lawn a couple of summers ago and had to reseed it.  I did not know that when seeding grass, it is ideal to mix the topsoil with a compost of some sort.  You could snap an ankle on our lawn right now because it is so hard!  I need to aerate it, but I just can't bring myself to buy a pair of spike bottomed sneakers and walk in circles for hours a day. 

I heard that coffee grounds were good for composting.  I wondered if they had any benefits for lawns? Hey, we drink a couple of pots a day (oh common, you would too if you were home with 4 little ones!)  I should check this out!  I was pleasantly surprised at the answer. 

Here's what I found.  Coffee grounds are GREAT!  Here's why:

  • they can be worked into soil to improve aeration and drainage
  • coffee grounds, make great mulch.  Gardeners report trees, shrubs and flowers responding very well when mulched with coffee grounds
  • earthworms go crazy for coffee grounds. Some people think they even become addicted to coffee for the same reasons people do. Worms tear through coffee grounds like any compost. They will eat through the equivalent of their own body weight every 24 hours. They are nature’s roto-tiller
  • coffee grounds provide your lawn with both the major nutrient group N-P-K and the macro nutrient group in a slow release form.
  • you'll save a few dollars by not buying all that commercial fertilizer
  • they are high in nitrogen, which is the same nutrient that is lost in the greatest quantity when lawn is mowed
Here's what my lawn looked like on 5/30/12





I took my can of used coffee grounds out and just flicked them all over this area.  (I've since read that you should dry them out on a tarp or something first as they spread more evenly.)


Can't wait to see the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment