Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Oh be careful little hands what you touch...

When dropping off my kids at school this morning, the youngest started to protest with screaming.  The door opened and screaming kid alerted stares.  I saw the Head Master standing on the front steps when I was walking toward the school and I sort of gave an exaggerated smile and a slight roll of my eyes and sarcastically said.... "I love my children. I really do."   His reply (which I've heard from many other parents who have been there, done that) was "One day you'll look back at this day and wish it back."  I don't know why I was stopped dead in my tracks today about his comment, but he was absolutely right.  One day I will look back.  Will I look back with shame and regret or will I look back and have fond memories?  I thought about this all morning. 

While the older 3 were at school and the youngest in bed for a nap I decided I should take some time for God.  In that quiet time with Him, the question arose, "Lord, where do you want me to minister?"  One obvious answer was "right here at home". 

When it was time to pick up one child from school for a Dr. apt, I thought about this.  My kids are at least one of my missions fields.   How well am I doing?  (to which many faults and failures pester my thoughts)  So, I decided there's no time like the present.  Talking kindly to my kiddies I tell them how much I love them and smile at them.  Touch their arms.  Rub their heads.  The  Dr. comes in, we have a checkup and get chatting about our responsibilities as parents.  I told her what the Head Master had said and she fully agreed.  She also said, "a lot of what your children learn comes from you as parents anyway.  How you respond to situations, how you react."  I replied "yes, I've heard the saying 'it's caught not taught.'"  We giggled about it all, got a sticker for being good and out we went. 

On our way out, I was trying to entice a smile and a cutesy "thank you" out of my toddler for the receptionist who gave us stickers.  My other child ran ahead.  He was pushing on the emergency exit door to go out (we never go that way, I don't know why today he thought we would).  I said, no, we're going this way.  He decided to pull the handle of the red "door opening mechanism" on the wall.  It was the Fire Alarm. 

Guess what conversation floods my mind as I choose how to react to this situation.  Yup.  Just that fast, I'm being tested.  Will I get angry?  Will I yell?  Oh how embarrassing this all is.  I slowly backed up to the window where stood the Dr., the receptionists and the nurses....all looking at us.  I mouthed the words "I'm so sorry" at the window and took off for the van.   I decided I should calmly explain why this was wrong when we got to the car.  My son (may I just say he is only 4) knew once the alarm sounded that he had done something really wrong.  He said I'm so sorry, mom.  Mom, I'm so sorry, I thought it was the door opener.  (you know, like the automatic buttons for handicap doors)

I am so glad I didn't freak out.  (yes, this is an occasional reaction of mine) He really didn't knowit was the fire alarm. 

I think today 2 of us learned a lesson.  For me....I am to cherish the moments of raising our family - it is my mission field.  For him....be careful little hands what you touch. 

To those who were inconvenienced by a false fire evacuation....we're so sorry.  

Maybe you'd like your stickers back.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post needed to read this as we have a 4 year old in the house also :) !!!
    Hey Becky it's Rena my Google account say's scooby8themall ( was letting u know it was me )

    ReplyDelete