Sunday, April 22, 2012

Some are willing, some are not.

I wouldn't say that our house is one that has an abundance of cash flow.  My husband is a carpenter and I stay at home with our children doing what I can for income from home.  Some days I am tempted to go back to work just so things aren't so tight financially, while others I am so thankful to have the privilege to pour into my babies as much as I can. 
Lately though, I've been struggling with our financially tightened belt.  I get green eyes easily. 

A few years ago we did a fabulous financial class called Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey.  It was SO beneficial for us.   I can't say we have all of the principals down yet, but we're working at it.  What we did walk away with though, was a total distaste for debt.  I can truly say I hate debt.  Bad enough that I am not willing to have Credit Cards, Equity Loans or Car payments.  Slowly...and I mean slowly...we are plugging away at existing debt so we can be free from slavery.  Truly that is how I view it.  Proverbs 22:7 says The borrower is slave to the lender....I've lived it and that is just how it feels to us. 

On those days when my eyes are green from envy and the desire to drain the account and go hog wild is looking like a great idea, I remember our journey and how long it has taken us to get this far and how hard it would be to start all over again.  I stay away from stores as much as possible.  I try not to get the "dream list" out too often.  I pray that God will help me to be content with what we do have and to teach my children the same lesson that I am trying to learn - Stuff doesn't bring lasting joy.  Jesus does.  It's a hard lesson for me.   I want.....often. 

Living this way is tough.  I keep reminding myself it's just a season.  Things will not always be this way if we are willing to work hard and spend less...for now. Even changing our view on WHY we want things is important too.  Do we (believers) consult God on what HE would want us to spend on or are we always selfishly looking for the next thing to satisfy a craving that only He can satisfy?  Some are willing to live this way...some are not.  We choose to work hard and spend less.  When the time comes that things aren't so tight, I hope we are able to keep focused on Him and His will....even with the money He entrusts to us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment