Wednesday, January 8, 2014

It's a New Year, Today's a New Day. Let the Adventures Begin!



The anticipation of a new year has really intrigued me this year.  I've been thinking about what I should be focusing on this year as last year seemed a bit out of focus.  (I mean, I hardly was able to sit idle long enough to think about anything except meeting deadlines, work, making it to the kids sporting events or not forgetting something I - or my children - volunteered me for!) 

Thinking this through really drug me through some disappointing places.  Places that should have had higher priority ranking but instead, found I had put the more important areas of my life farther down on the list than they should have been.  I had succumbed to people pleasing, anger, and focused way too much on cleaning my house, (Which is a HUGE laugh in itself as I have 4 kids who could win awards for wreaking havoc on a clean home in only moments!) and not near enough attention on My Lord, My Husband or My Children.  **Insert Sigh**

The great part is that It's a New Year, Today's a New Day!

I get excited when I get something new.   New pens - UH!  How I love new fancy medium point pens! Smooth in delivery, no goopy puddles of ink, rich in color and the ones with a grippy handle...those are the best!  A new jacket is another - doesn't happen often, so when it's finally time to upgrade, man, it's exciting!  A new bible thrills me!  It's like a brand new word search.....I get to underline all of those passages that mean so much to me all over again.  And so I'm feeling this same way with this brand new year ahead of me.  I get to have new goals to aim at.  I get to shift my priorities again to get them where they should be.  I get a clean start with each new day. 

As this New Year takes off, I know I have to do some things differently so the same pattern doesn't occur from last year.  The crazy part is, we all are living life and some things we can't necessarily change.  At least not right at this moment.  But I think if we are honest with each other, we all have areas that could be tweaked so that our priorities lay in the right order.  As for the goal we're aiming at this year, I can't quite see clearly what mine looks like yet,.  I was reminded this morning when I spent some time with God, that "We don't know specifically what next week, or eternity will look like.  We are moving toward destinations we cannot see 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.'  2 Corinthians 5:7.  Walking by faith means seeing life differently: trusting the God we cannot see (1 Peter 1:7-8) for that which He has yet to reveal."  Dr. David Jeremiah

I especially love what John Blanchard had to say about walking by faith:

"Walking by faith means being prepared to trust where we are not permitted to see." 

I just need to take one day, one hour, one moment at a time.  Keeping it in check.  Remembering my priorities.  God, Husband, Children, lotsofothergreatthings.  Asking God to direct me each step of the way.  In faith. 

I hope you can take a moment and review your past year.    What are you aiming at for this year?  What's got to change?  Let the Adventures Begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment