Thursday, June 21, 2012

Little steps paid off

I have been working hard on capturing the clutter in my home and finding an orgainizing solution for my "office" collect-all.  I showed you a picture of my delimma in my Procrastinate No More post.  It went from bad to worse very quickly, but I finally came up with at least a "it will do for now" solution and I'm happy with it. 

Here was last nights mess:



And I didn't even take a picture of the entry way where I was dragging and stacking the "need to go's" nor the living room where I dumped the drawers of movies all over the couches.  (This movie mess in turn invited a slob party by the other occupants of the home in which they decided all pillows should be on the floor as well as any toy in the house should be randomly strewn on the floor to join the fun.) 

But this is what I eventually came up with:


I bought 2 accordian folders for some of the paperwork that was in the plastic drawer system I emptied as well as a pot lid organizer for paperwork that I have neatly placed on a shelf in a nearby closet.  Oh, and a plastic bin that fit inside of one of these drawers for pens.

It cost me $21 to organize this area.  It saved me a lot of money just by repurposing what I already had. 

The only downside to all of this is that my unfinished dining room sticks out like a sore thumb to me now and I have the itch to finish it.....NOW.  Uh, the perrils of renovating an old home.  The work is never done.  We keep telling ourselves to stick with one project till it is complete...but that is so hard for us to do - other projects have been just as important and we have a hard time catching our breath in between each.  (Like when you have ice forming on your outlet sockets, and you can't get the temp above 58 degrees in the winter, you know it's time to rip out some walls and insulate.  Or when 1/2 of the shingles from your roof are laying on your driveway....it may be time to put new shingles on.  Or when you have 3 kids, 3 beds, 2 dressers all crammed into 1 small bedroom....it's time to get that back bedroom up and running! ) We have so many ideas and fun things we would like to do to our home....if only we had all kinds of time and money.  HA! 
I keep reminding myself that it's not what the home looks like, it's who's in the home that counts.   God has been so good in what and who He has blessed us with.  I don't want to have my focus stuck on things that don't and won't matter in the scheme of eternity! 

Thanks for sticking with me on this....I knew I could do it and you can too! 

Stay tuned for more decluttering missions!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment