Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Miracle Kitchen Cleaner

Or should I say How To Get Grout REAALLLLYYYY Clean

I like tile.  I like it's durability and I really like the look tile brings to a kitchen.  Something I really dislike though, is nasty, stained tile grout.  We have tile counter tops in our kitchen.  One thing I would love to renovate, for sure.  They've been here for years and I'm assuming they didn't have Epoxy grout (which is supposedly stain proof) back when they were installed because they didn't use it. 
We drink coffee.  I cook a lot.  We have 4 kids.  Are you getting a picture of how easily it would be to have the bubonic plague lurking in your grout lines? (yes, I do disinfect as well as clean the counters several times a day, but over time the grout turns a nasty brown color.) 

I normally bleach them, but I have a knack of getting bleach on my pants or the bottom of my shirt...this makes me a tiny bit angry!  Today I tried something different.  I was reading on One Good Thing's blog about a miracle kitchen cleaner so I thought I would see if it could in fact perform a miracle on my grout.

The solution is so simple...a little baking soda and a little hydrogen peroxide mixed together to form a paste. 


Here is my before picture: (no judging)


I told you it was nasty!

And here is the paste I spread over it and left for 15 minutes:

And here is the final result after 15 minutes:

 Not bad, eh?

Well, I didn't stop there.  I did a bleach section at the same time.  Just a really strong mix of bleach and water and sprayed it on just before I started the other mixture. 

Here's the before using bleach:

 and the after:

It did a decent job as well, but not as good as the "miracle kitchen cleaner" and hey...no harsh chemicals and no bleach spots on my clothes is always nice bonus!

Stay tuned for the results of my Homemade Fabric Softener. 





No comments:

Post a Comment