Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Spirit Week...not so bad!

I can't say that I love spirit week at school.  (Am I aloud to admit this out loud?)  I mean, for a procrastinator like myself it proves to be quite stressful.  (do I see an upcoming remodel for this part of my life by chance?)

Day 1 was simple.  Dress in Blue for one kid and Green for the other kid.  I can handle that.  We just happened to have those colors in their wardrobes.
Day 2  Duct tape day.  Ok, tell me, who hated me enough to make this one of the themes for the week?  Do you know how many things you can make with Duct Tape?  Question # 2 - do you know how much $ Duct Tape is! Question # 3 - Did you know that Silver Duct Tape is no longer an acceptable color choice to a 9 year old when there is double your money zebra print to buy?

Well, as much as it was quite a waste of money, it didn't totally go to waste.  They did have a blast with it at school,  and decking their clothes out etc was so much fun for the kids....I loved to see their imaginations in full force, so that has to count for something, but beyond that....I made an accessory that will be useful for years to come.  
 The Z-bag.

And for those wondering if it wears well...Ha, Ha, my husband is such a great sport.  Just another reason why I love him so much.  (He thought I was just taking a picture of the Z-bag LOL!!!)



Ok, back to the the purpose of this post.  There is a point, I promise.

Day 3  (tonight's project) Costumes from a movie the class chose.  Our themes to work with:  Monsters Inc. and Peter Pan.  I love how you can Google what you're looking for and they give you a cheater page called Google Images. We picked the characters they wanted to be and it was late enough I had to send the younger 3 off to bed while my 9 year old and I dreamed up costume ideas. 

This is where things went right.  She was smiling ear to ear just spending time with mom, laughing with me at the ridiculous costumes in some of the pictures and at some of my hair brained ideas, too. 

The Point of this post...
I find these moments some of the best moments between my daughter and I.  As much as I'm thinking "it's so late, you need to go to bed" I can see by the way she is smiling and snuggling closer that this is what she qualifies as quality time and I love that. 

So, I can't say I want to make Z-bags every night, nor do I want to dream up Mike and Mr. Smee costumes in the near future, but I do want to keep finding ways to connect with my each of my children individually so we can have that time to giggle and smile from ear to ear by just being together.   

No comments:

Post a Comment