Friday, March 9, 2012

Sour Milk. A Stentch Worth The Fight.

There aren't many smells that are as repulsive as sour milk.  I was reminded of this just this morning when one of my handsome little men came clean about sneaking a kid sized milk jug (the "health" food store this came from will remain nameless. **insert sarcasm here**) up into his bedroom ....a week ago....and hid the unfinished container with its contents under the bed. 

I'd like to say that when it was discovered, it was immediately disposed of...however, that was not the case.  There were a couple of brave younin's that proceeded to open it, ingest some of it and...yes, spill some of it....somewhere.  But no one could tell me where. 

The funny thing about sour milk is that it's pungent smell lurks EVERYWHERE without prejudice.  Finding the source of the problem was like an out of control search and rescue mission.  I assumed the Tracking position - that is, nose to the ground, and like a Hound Dog hot on a trail, I sniffed every inch of that bedroom.  That's when I went into full Bird Dog point.  The search was over.  You could tell this was the originating area when my breath was stolen from me, my stomach began to convulse and my gag reflexes were in full force.  My brain was screaming Abort! Abort!

Ah, yes, the excitement of a stay at home mom.  If the Border Patrol only knew how refined my sniffer was....they'd be recruiting me for sure.  HA! 

The mission isn't one I EVER want to repeat, but I did learn a few valuable cleaning tips from it all.  That's really why I'm sharing this with you.  You get to learn  "How to get sour milk out of a carpet."

Here's how I did it.

Vinegar:  A frugal mom's best friend and Baking Soda = Wonder powder!



(Do you like the prop for the bed?)

I found the "area" needing attention and I mixed 1 part vinegar to 2 parts water. I sprayed till it was WET. (you want it to go through all of those fibers and penetrate what may have even leaked onto the sub floor.)
I waited 15 minutes after spraying before I came back with the backup protection - the baking soda.


(The piles on the floor aren't necessary.  I just wasn't very proficient in photography to be able to shake the soda on the floor while taking a picture.....and it not be blurry.  My camera skills are less than desirable.)

Because I made piles instead of shaking it all around on the stinky spot, I then had to spread it around with my hand BUT ** the key here** is to make sure it gets rubbed down into the fibers of the rug. 


I waited another 15 minutes to ensure the nasty stench was fully combated by my 2 multipurpose friends Vin & Soda, then vacuumed it up. 

SSSSMMMMMMMM! (deep breath) yes.  Stink free. 

Ingredients Needed:

1/2 Cup Vinegar
1Cup Water
1/2 Cup Baking Soda
Vacuum and a spray bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment