Friday, March 30, 2012

Me Prideful? Nah.

I think it's hilarious that I am so exciting about recognizing that I'm prideful. I know I am not supposed to look down my nose at anyone else. I know that I am not to brag about me or my stuff. I know that I am to never look at myself as better than someone else - you never know what road someone has traveled to make them who they've become. And I try not to. It wasn't that part of pride that I found so sneaky.

Check out what Francis Chan in Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God says about Stress and Worry.

"But then there's that perplexing command: 'Regoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!' (Phil. 4:4) You'll notice it doesn't end with '...unless you're doing something extremely important.' No, it's a command for all of us, and it follows with the charge, 'Do not be anxious about anything' (vs.6). When I am consumed by my problems - stressed about my life, my family, and my job - I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a 'right' to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities."

**insert kick in the teeth here** lol

He goes on to say "Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives. Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, or lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control. Basically these two behaviours communicate that it's OK to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance."

Well there. And I thought I was starting to like the guy. :)

I struggle with lots of insecurities.  It always shocks people who know me when they find out what stresses me out. I guess I hide it well.  Crowds - doesn't even have to be crowds of unknown people - they could all be close friends of mine and I'd still worry about who I'd hang out with.  I sing some.  It never fails, just before I start to sing, my knees knock, my lips quiver, my voice sometimes goes nuts....(which then creates embarassment, which makes my face red).  I'm a drama queen.  Doesn't mean I'm good at it, but I like to act.  Well, let's define "like". The ability to drive a point home through dramatic display is what I like.  What I don't like is the nausea before I enter on stage, or my shaking hands while I hold a microphone, nor do I enjoy when my brain betrays me and I forget lines, adlib and say something atrotious! HA!

In all honesty, this word from Francis is just what I needed to hear. My God spoke the world into existance. He formed our intricate bodies by breathing life into it. He is the maker of billions of galaxies and thousands of tree species in the rainforest. Do I honestly think He can't handle my life, my family, my job issues? That I might somehow be able to do it better than Him?

Seeing we are here to glorify God in all we do and say, our lives should therefore point people toward Him.

A  good friend of mine passed on a little tidbit of wisdom to another wonderful friend of mine who in turn passed it on to me....."nothing to prove, nothing to lose." I am here to glorify God, not myself and not anyone else. When I give my all for Jesus, I have nothing to lose, so I shouldn't hold back.  I must give my all, He is worth EVERYTHING I am able to muster up and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment